Thursday, July 14, 2016

The Tula Pink Butterfly Quilt - pic heavy

Dianne asked me to quilt this incredible Butterfly Quilt.   The pattern is by Tula Pink and it is called The Butterfly Quilt.   The piecing and the fussy cutting is exquisite and I knew I had to step up and really emphasize her work....

The first thing I did was go on the internet and do a ton of image searches of butterflies.  In nature,  in art, and  in tattoos.  Yes Tattoos.  I wanted to find the right idea for the white background of this quilt -  something that will incorporate swirls and movements and motion.   I found many images and just took elements from different ones that I thought I could use on the quilt-  tendrils, swirls and over the top antennae.   The antennae that I have seen on other quilts were small.   We wanted something larger and showy....  

After many sketches and ideas, I simplified and settled on this design -  I drew it out on my plexiglass, and then transferred it to the fabric with fabric marker.   
I then marked out a few swirls and tendrils at the wings and base of the butterfly -  all freehand.  And then loaded up the quilt on the frame.
I started with basic wavy lines.... 
 and then started work on the antennae.   I used a pink/purple variegated thread on the antennae to pop a little more.  
Follow with fill....and waves lines to gently transition to the outline of the butterfly....
Here is a front view of the antennae.  I love the dots I chose to quilt over those tendrils! 
Next came the beautiful piecing -  Dianne's fussy cut piecing was something I have never seen before.   The precision was very deliberate and therefore I knew I had to make my choice in quilting very deliberate.   I will let you scroll through the next photos, but be sure to click on them to enlarge and take a close look at the fussy cutting :-)  (details of thread, size, etc at bottom of post)
 
 


 Details -  Tula Pink The Butterfly Quilt
89'' x 94''
Hobbs 100% Heirloom Wool Batting
Magnifico thread top assorted colours
Aurifil Aurilux purple variegated thread top (antennae and purples)
Wonderfil Decobob bobbin thread
Machine guided quilting on my APQS machine 
Piecer:  Dianne A. of Calgary, Alberta




16 comments:

  1. Such attention to details. The owner of this top is lucky she chose you to quilt it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your "swirly feathers" on the side.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely stunning! Both the piecing and the quilting are fabulous. You definitely caught the idea of movement. The antennae are super cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for putting the photographs of your marvelous work online so we all can be inspired! I have purchased Tula Pink fabric to begin piecing, and am beginning to plan what I'd like to do. Thank you for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is Beautiful! And your quilting is inspired! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Crafting such colorful and butterfly identical art on piece of clothes is simply outstanding work. I once saw such crafting in a factory and I was amazed to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are very brave focuses in this article. I would have never thought to be any of these on the off chance that I didn't go over this. Much appreciated!. Join Origin Access Premier and get sims 4 news Digital Deluxe, Dine Out Game Pack and Kids Room Stuff Pack to create new stories. Plus, get access to a library ..

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am professional blogger and I am also search engine optimization consultant at https://www.retailogy.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice article! Your innovative and creative work is very inspirational! Thanks for this. please check this too! digital marketing company in Chennai

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice article! please check this too! Inclusive workplace awards

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice prodct clothes is better and Hardware and software server pls check my profile

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting on my blog. I know it takes the extra clicks and the pesky word verification, but receiving comments is so much fun! I respond to all comments, so if you don't receive a reply back from me, check your settings and make sure you are not listed as a 'no reply blogger; which means I cannot reply back to you.